Friday, May 8, 2020

 I have a love-hate relationship with bridges. As a child of a civil engineer, I am in constant awe with the science behind building a sturdy reliable bridge. I also like the idea of bridges, what they signify in different cultures - connection, closure etc. As an amateur photographer, bridges make great subjects - the angles, the architect etc.

Yet, I have often found bridges a lonely place to be. In order to bridge places and people, you have to be stuck in the middle. You alone truly know the dangers that lies beneath you. You alone hang in the proverbial limbo. Many walk over you without a care the the world. Few ever stopped to ponder what you have weathered.
Also, despite it being two way, I have been often made to feel as if I am leaving something behind with each bridge that I have crossed. I have been made to wonder if I will ever cross this way again... so far the answer has been more often naught.
I have crossed many bridges in my life, figurative and literal, often on my own. With each one I have often wonder what it would be like to cross it with someone. Someone who appreciates the deep magic of a bridge, someone who doesn't mind stopping at the highest or center most point, or any where along the way for that matter to capture the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment