Sunday, May 31, 2020

Give cities a chance


It is certainly surreal to see the cities that I have lived in going up in flames in the midst of chaos. Anyone who knows me knows that I love walking around and getting lost in each of the cities that I have lived in. I love frequenting the local mom-and-pop stores and exploring the different neighbourhoods. 
Chances are if you have ever visited with me, you know I will take you on an intimate tour that makes you forget about the "landmarks" and leaves you with vivid memories of living like a local. 
What is beautiful about cities is there is a strong sense of community, and it doesn't take much to become a familiar face at a local eatery or shop. It doesn't take much to belong. That aspect is something I feel often gets overlooked. There is this narrative that cities are cold and crime-infested; that it is better to move to the suburbs. What is often missed is that each city has communities that are resilient and look out for their own. 
I guess what I am trying to say is, sure, cities get trashed from time to time. Bad apples come through and they wreak havoc. That gets sensationalized through media because people are attracted to disasters and it drives the rating. 
What doesn't get enough press is what happens later. Because if you stay a bit longer, always, afterwards, the community comes together and rebuild. What is often overlooked is in the cities there are honest-to-God folks. who are constantly trying to stay put and make it work - the locals and the people who choose to live there. 
So, yes, the smoke rises and people loot. But that is only half the story. The story of any city though is the storied lives of its people and their quest to give character to the place they call home.

No comments:

Post a Comment