Friday, November 23, 2007

Here's the thing

Because here is the thing, one of these days, you will look at me with those wide, doe-like eyes of yours, all shy and timid, head tilted and all, and tell me you have fallen in love with some guy. 

And I, I would be happy for you because I am your friend, but the reality is my inside would be tearing up because all these years I have loved you most. 

Whenever you were reduced to tears, you would come and place your vulnerable, shatterd soul in my care. You would whimper, and tell me how your boyfriend just dumped you, and what a jerk he is. And I would nod my head, and agree with each word you say. I would say something funny, I would join you in trashing your ex-boyfriend. I would praise you to the skies until I tease a smile or giggle through your tears and sorrow. You would look the world's most gorgeous woman to me then, but still I can't tell you how much I love you because the truth is, you have never seen me as the One. And I know if I attempt to be the One, things would become awkward. And I love you too much, and hold too dear the relationship we have now, so I will be silent, and watch as you trial and error you way though numerous relationships until you find that guy... I will stand silently by, a sturdy rock, a confidente to your crushes until some day, you come to me, the cutest can be and tell me that you have at last found him... and I would be happy for you... I really would, but the sad thing is, it wasn't me you have found. 

I would toast that lucky bastard, I would pat him on his back on your wedding night.And unbeknownest to you, I would have pulled him aside, and laid it upon him sternly that he better treat you right, because if he doesn't, he would have me to reckon with. And he would know, because of the way you talked about me, that I am not someone he would want to cross. So you will end up happy, and I would be happy too, sort of... 

That will be the way things go down between the two of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment