Monday, January 8, 2018

Sometimes I don't understand

Sometimes I don't understand.
Sometimes I don't understand the things that made you sad.
Sometimes I don't understand the decisions you had to make, the road you had to take to be here.
Sometimes I don't understand why you chose to be a certain way, or if you even had a choice at all.
Sometimes I don't understand the way you see things.
Sometimes I don't understand my reaction towards you.Sometimes I don't understand the source of my prejudice; ungrounded and unjust. 
But you know what? That's on me.
May I strive to understand.
May I try to listen, to be curious, to ask questions, to comprehend.
And where understanding falls short, may my compassion, and good faith bind the gap.
For my place is not to judge. Mine is to be kind.
Misunderstandings occur only because there is so much to understand. 

So sometimes I don't understand, sometimes I forget. But remind me, remind me to be first a friend.
Remind me to lend you a helping hand; to step back and think.
To resist the temptation of passing judgment without evidence, without examination,, without reflection, without deliberation.

Because sometimes I don't understand. I just don't understand.
And maybe somethings don't have to be understood, not right this second.
But doesn't mean I can't be understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment