Sunday, May 20, 2012

The GRADUATING CLASS of 2012!!!


A little girl went to her first wedding accompanied by her grandmother. During the wedding she leans over and asked, "Grandma, why is the bride dressed all in white?".  To which her grandmother replies, "Well, honey, a bride dresses all in white because white is the symbol of happiness, and today is her happiest day."  The little girl was silent for a bit, and then gingerly she asks, "then why is the groom dressed all in black?"

Going to graduate school for a doctoral degree, I have found,  is very similar to getting married.  Remember that very first day when you walked up to be  presented with your white coat?  You were the "bride" then.  The whole world is watching you as you strut down that aisle. You, your heart beating fast, feeling nervous, elated, and not entirely sure what is going to happen, but nonetheless holding your head up high, smiling, ready to commit to the love of your profession. That long march, down that aisle, what a journey it must have been, struggling internally with yourself, "is this really happening? I have been dreaming of this for a while now, is this what I really wanted? Will I make it to the front without fainting?"

Now, four years later, you are at last standing in the front, draped in the sharpest tux of academia regalia (okay, so, metaphorically, you are marrying yourself but stay with me here).  You are now the "groom".  The image of confidence, ready to take on the responsibilities therein.  You went through all the rounds, doing the research, getting to really know the "profession",  getting the consent of the parents (::coughs:: BOARDS/Praxis::coughs::), getting the right engagement ring (give your pat on your shoulder, that "ring", it came from years of labor, of you chipping away at the rough to find the diamond within you), humbled yourself and finally gathering the nerves to ask "her" to marry you.  So here you stand, today, about to become full fledged DOCTORS!!! 

Congratulations!!! Meanwhile, don't forget the "wedding party", the "wedding guests".  You family, friends, and mentors, present  in body and/or spirit to witness this event, to offer you their support as they bear witness to your success.  Remember them, for without them, you could not have been.  Without their support, your love affair could not have been.  For like any true relationships, love of a profession, the pursuit of a profession, cannot occur in a vacuum, as much as we may dived in to it,  and neglect those around us in our single-minded pursuit, it is the support of loved ones that helps us when we have doubts, cheer us on when we are tired, protect us when we are vulnerable, and listen, and create a safe nurturing environment for the "two" of you to grow in love with as little hindrance as possible.  

Today is going to be an amazing day, a day to remember-  it is momentous.  Today we celebrate your achievement! Today, we celebrate love, love of and for what you do; namely the love for your patients, and love for your profession.  We also celebrate the love of those around you who got you through. We look forward to the continual growth of your dedication to your patients and your profession. 

And for those of us who are following in your footsteps, we are looking towards your "marriage" as the perfect role model.  We await breathlessly as you prepare to throw the "bouquet" and/or put on the "garter".  Thanks for being who you are, amazing doctors, colleagues, friends... and first and foremost - an amazing human being.  Good luck, and God Bless!             

Dear Class of 2012!

I had hope to be there to congratulate and celebrate you in person; alas, I could not, I hope you can forgive me.  What a pleasure and joy it has been to have gotten to know you.  When I look back, I realized that I owe my survival, my navigation of Salus University to a lot of you.  Had it not have been for your friendship, your wisdom, your encouragements, and your examples during those very first years, I would not fared quite as well as I did.  Each of you have been a precious role model to me, and what an honor it has been to have walked amongst each and every one of you.  

Oh, how I wanted to grab hold of each of you and beg you all to stay. How I wish that time would stop so that we could all be together. But I know that is selfish of me, for you all have a better place to fly to, you all have your individual dreams. I am so happy for each of you, for you all have fought hard. I am proud to be able to be your friend, you have no idea how much every one you touched my life, and how much each of you mean to me... so, it is with an unwilling heart, I bid you adieu and wish you every success.  Stay in touch, and when you are soaring far, high, and wide, remember me who watches for you from below.

Sincerely,

Andy LauSalus University Osborne College of AudiologyClass 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment