Monday, May 21, 2012

Gift of music

On a whim I went into the elderly home close to where I am interning, and there sitting in the lobby before me stood a fine-tuned baby grand piano. I sat down, and started playing, and pretty soon, I had a little group of audience. Amongst them was an elderly couple, the husband appeared very alert whereas his wife seemed pretty inert. I learned that she suffered a stroke recently which has rendered her rather handicapped, although she is still very much cognitively intact, she doesn't have much faculty over her expressions. That day, as I played, for the first time in a long while, she smiled, just a little... but it was the tears in her husband's eyes that truly got to me. I am not a good musician by any standards, but I am grateful for the gift of music that I have been given to share. Whatever gift you have, however small, share it.

No comments:

Post a Comment