Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Chicago

This year's AudiologyNOW conference was held in Chicago, and I definitely enjoyed my visit to the Windy City, in fact, one may even say I was quite blown away by it (groans).  I think what I find most appealing about this city, besides the orderliness and the friendly folks I have met along the way, is the architecture.  From the ornate to the practical, the Chicago skyline is adorned by spiraling towers of wonder to graceful monoliths of sublime beauty.  There is also something nostalgic about Chicago.  Perhaps it is the link to the Prohibition Era, of speak-easy, and the likes of Elliot Ness and Al Capone. The glorious days of Chicago Bulls, a team that I grew up idolizing.  Or, it could be alleged home of a Royal Canadian Mountie who first went to Chicago on the trail of the killers of his father, and for reasons which don't need exploring at this juncture, he has remained attached as a liaison to the Canadian Consulate (which I could not locate during this trip...).  Regardless, walking around town, beneath the bridges that supported the "L" (The Loop), I find myself imagining what it was like to witness the growth of this city, as the soundtrack from the movie The Sting played in the background.

No comments:

Post a Comment