Friday, April 17, 2009

Becoming an Audiologist

The following is a mock transcript of an interview done years down the road, when Andy has become a world renowned public figure. H stands for Host. And A stands for Andy. Enjoy!

H: Our next guest, often referred to affectionately by his colleagues as the Oliver Sacks of Audiology, is the Director-General of the World Health Organization, and is the first of his profession to hold such office. He has gained much recognition for his humanitarian efforts in promoting global awareness of hearing loss. You may know him as the author of the bestsellers titled: “Does Tinnitus Ring a Bell?”, and “”Vendi, Vidi, Vertigo: I Came, I Saw, I Got Dizzy”. Please join me in welcoming Dr. Andy Lau!

(Andy walks onto stage)

H: So Andy, tell us about what you do, I gather it is a profession that few have heard about.

A: What? Oh, right! Sorry, old audiology humor. Well, it’s very simple; I mainly studied the science of hearing and balance. I test people’s hearing, and I try to come up with new ways to help them improve their hearing. I also work with the vestibular system, that’s the system which monitors motor balance. People with dizziness issues, motion sickness usually have a problem in their vestibular system, and I work to help correct it.

H: Sounds interesting. So how did you get started? Did you grow up knowing that you would become an audiologist?

A: Well, no, actually. To be perfectly honest with you, I didn’t know what audiology was until sophomore year in college -

H: - What?

A: - Ha-ha, yes. I went to college without the foggiest idea of what I want to major in. I remember being quite envious of my peers, dedicated individuals who knew from the first day as freshmen what they wanted to be. I was enjoying learning so much that my academic advisor worried that I would not graduate in time. Like any good professional, she referred me to the career’s center for further testing. They threw quite a battery of tests at me and were able to narrow me down to fields that were people-oriented with emphasis on nurturing and healing. Audiology, psychology, ministry and teaching came up. Then, they gave me one final test called the Kuder Occupational Interest Survey.

H: What is that?

A: Well, think of it as the eHarmony or Match.com of the occupational world, it compares your personality with those of people in various professions and tries to match you up with the best fit.

H: So, did it paired you up with audiology, and was it like love at first sight, you two hit it off right there and then?

A: Yes, and no… Audiology did come up as my top choice. But you know how it is in those romantic stories, where the guy either chooses to ignore his instincts, or didn’t think he is good enough for his true love meant to be, and went after the second best instead?

H: Yeah… but this story has a happy ending, right?

A: Yes, yes. But being the fool that I was, I went ahead and “courted” other fields instead before fate finally put me back on track again with audiology. I graduated with a degree in psychology, and landed a job as a research assistant at a coordinating center for clinical trials. I figured it was a good match, behind the scenes of healthcare and all. And it was, to some extent, but it was kind of passive. I needed something more hands on; something that would spark my enthusiasm, and allowed me to be truly empathetic. Luckily, I was staying with my best friend’s family at the time, and his mother is an Audiologist. You may have heard of her, Dr. Tomi Browne.

H: This is her right here (shows her on screen in pamphlet about Hearts of the Village).

A: Yes, that’s her. You can say she changed my life, she taught me what it means to be blessed and the philosophy of “pay it forward,” More importantly, she began to expose me to the world of audiology. Actually, to be honest, there is no way you can live with the Browne family and not being infected by the audiology bug. But it was through her that I fell in love with audiology for real.

H: So she was matchmaker and re-united you with audiology.

A: You can’t get away from something that is meant to be. I remember staying with the Browne’s family, and at the time they were very active with mission work involving this orphanage in Nairobi Kenya for HIV positive children.

H: (flashes photos of the Browne family visiting Nyumbani)

A: Anyway, one particular child from this orphanage, Mungai, had a profound hearing loss since birth. And it was determine that the situation could be rectified only with a cochlear implant – a procedure not available in Kenya. Mungai stayed with us, and over the course of four months, I witnessed the miracle unfold as doctors from Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia worked hard to help this child hear. It was simply awe inspiring.

H: (shows picture of Mungai)

A: I was really moved. Bit by bit, I became more interested in the field of audiology. It was around this time that I met another giant in the field of audiology – Dr. George Osborne.

H: George Osborne, as in the George Osborne College of Audiology from where you graduated?

A: Yes! Incidentally, that is the first time a college has been named after an Audiologist. Dr. Osborne was a good friend of Dr. Browne, and he visited with us often. I got to talk to him about audiology a lot, and we shared many spirited conversations on the subject. He was quite the visionary, and erudite. He was very passionate about the field audiology, and envisioned that it would grow into something big someday. He really believed in me, and strongly encouraged me to pursue audiology. It meant a lot to me that a man of his stature saw greatness in me.

H: Kind of like Dad giving permission to date his daughter, to continue in the analogy.

A: Right! I remember him employing his now famous lines on me “just go for it… you can do it!” I remember being really impressed with that attitude and his dedication to promoting the field of audiology to anyone and everyone. His life’s work was to spread the gift of hearing to as many as possible, and I share in that same vision.

H: So, it was history from that point onwards, right?

A: Yes, really. I started giving serious thoughts about becoming an audiologist, and during the winter of 2007, things started to fall into place. It started off with an invitation from Dr. Ken Henry to join his practice to see what it was like.

H: Wait a minute, Dr. Henry as in the director of Professional Hearing Services, one of the largest audiology practices on the Northeast coast-- Also one of the leading experts in vestibular rehabilitation?

A: Yep, that’s him. He is another good friend of Dr. Browne, and when he learned of my interest in audiology, he said to me “well, you have been on the sidelines watching all along, how about getting into it and see if you like it?” So I signed up to become an audiometric technician under his supervision. Let me tell you, it was an amazing experience. I never believed I could live everyday being so motivated, empathetic, and enthusiastic. Hearing aid technology still fascinates me. I loved working with the patients – young and old and watch them smile when they realize their hearing improved. I really wanted to become part of it.

H: So that did it for you, huh?

A: YES! It was one of those moments where you see things clearly. Well, that is what audiology was for me. I could see myself being with it forever, and I wasn’t scared, I didn’t feel trapped. If anything I was excited. Audiology embodies everything I was searching for…the human contact, nurturing and healing, the prospect of doing important research. I found my niche and who I was all at the same time. I realized I could be a nerd and human at the same time, how cool is that! It was excellent! I found my bliss.

H: Wow… that’s quite something.

H: Well, folks, that’s about sums it up for us. Dr. Lau, thank you so much for your time. It was great to hear what made you who you are today. You are living proof that the kindness of others can go a long way.

No comments:

Post a Comment