Thursday, March 8, 2007

Keep Watch This Night

The wintry wind blew upon my face, its icy touch serves to remind me that I am live. Its 2am in the morning, and I have no idea why I am still up. The past few nights have been the same, my slumber interrupted by the need to rise and keep watch during the night. But keep watch over what though? So I sit, each night, on the front steps of the house, pondering the unknown. I can not recall what my mind was pondering, perhaps it was nothing, or perhaps it was everything.. but always like the whiteness that encompass all colors, my memory is blank.  In those hours between dusk and dawn, when the morning star is at its brightest, I recalled much, and I have forgotten much. 

The silence and stillness of the night causing a sonic buzz in my ears. I feel alert, and yet I know it can not be for I should be weary. It seemed not long ago when I would roam the streets at this hour, and paced my troubled soul to tranquility. Yet no longer have I the urge to do so here, here in this modern neighborhood the serenity is somewhat lost. Always a car would pass by and awaken me from my strolling reverie. Here, the doors are locked to me, the windows black, and the scenery stale. The stars in the sky is masked by the ambient urban light, the street lamps casting sterile cones in the darkness, more sinister than welcoming. So I sit, upon the steps, and be still. Be still as the minutes pass into hours, until I feel the gentle glow of dawn caressing my hand. Thus I bid welcome to the arrival of a new day, and watch as darkness wane before the sun's penetrating rays. Then do I feel I have done my part to keep watch this night, but over what I know not. 

No comments:

Post a Comment