Sunday, June 4, 2006

A Walk with Sorrow

Since Joy was busy, Sorrow came and visit me instead.
Cloaked in a dress of solemn gray, hands as cold as ice,
She clasped my hands in hers, and we took a stroll side by side
Down along memory lane.

Images that were once filled with happiness now tinged with sadness
As Sorrow invoke  her doleful charms. 
How strange to behold all that was wonderful are now marred.
Sorrow by my side, tilts her head and smile that ghost of a wistful smile. 

Lament? No. There is beauty even in sadness, 
As if Sorrow, in her serene way, begs me to remember 
That she is after all the dear sibling of Joy- her sister.
Without her saturnine presence, sweet memories can not be. 

Quietly, silently, she relay to me,
"Human, remember this, you know of true happiness
Only because you are aware of the tragedies of the human condition.
Therefore, do not spurn me but love me as you have Joy"

And I said to her,
"If I can hold you, and keep you that you may visit no other, I would.
I would give up Joy, if it means you will stay by me and away from she whom I hold dear.
Give me her sadness that she need not feel even a hundredth of it"

Sorrow shook her head,
"Sadness is not yours to take, but my to give.
Hear me once more, only through me will you know of happiness.
Why then deny her that by depriving her of me?"

And then Sorrow left my side as I awash my eyes with tears.
My head upon the pillow that is wet, I awoke to sun rays seeping through.
Was it a dream? Nay, Sorrow was here, and she left her mark upon me.
A tinge of relieve shadowed by sadness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment