Monday, June 26, 2006

Thoughts on Life

Life is confusing, but that is the point isn't it? We all seem to want to find some sense of security, to feel certain and be secured in the concrete. Yet, often times, we neglect the fact that it is the mystery of life that makes it worth living. True, it is nice to have a comfort zone, to have foreknowledge. Often times, I look back and wish I had done certain things differently, but  the truth is, I can't. 

In my head, things went differently. I imagine myself to be more suave. I picture myself as someone who has the elegance to glide about with ease. A person of charisma, charm and grace. Instead, I must admit that I am rather awkward... but that is ok, because I am learning  to be better. Its like dancing... by my standard, I am still a pretty lousy dancer. I am still very awkward, but compared to where I was a month ago, a year ago, I have more confidence in asking people to dance with me. I am slowly beginning to enjoy dancing more, and it shows. I asked this one really good dancer why she chose to dance with me, she just shrug and said "because you smiled a lot." It was that simple... it wasn't my skill (or lack there of) that made her willing to dance with me, but the mere fact that I enjoy dancing that got to her. 

Perhaps that is how I should  lead my life. I may not have a lot of money to go spending on luxuries. I may not be a talented individual who shall scale mountains and rescue nations. But I can learn to enjoy each moment of it. To smile often, and to encourage other to do so. I shall catch hold of the simple, and sometimes finer points of life, and just enjoy it.

I shall learn to be like Pierre Dulaine (portrayed by Antonio Banderas in the flick TakeTthe Lead). Here is what Beth Sullivan of WM Flat Hat said of him

"Watching Dulaine use dance to unfold life lessons to kids who do not have the luxury to explore them on their own is fascinating. He is not a reproachful, holier-than-thou moralist. Instead, he is simply a man who has personally embraced the finer aspects of living and wants to share that grace with others. A relic of chivalry, he is mercilessly ridiculed by the students for opening doors, demanding to hear thank you and playing Gershwin. There is something to be said for patience and politeness, though --they both pay off. The students begin to value the gentle advice he offers. Though he appears passive and wimpy, he is actually strong beyond measure; hes an urban Don Quixote. "

Maybe that is who I shall become, not some big shot lawyer or doctor, but a simple urban Don Quixote. I think that would be grand, wouldn't you agree?

No comments:

Post a Comment